Required documents for the licensure application

In this article, we will discuss the topic of licensure and the documents you need for your licensure application. These documents can be divided into three categories:

  1. Personal documents
  2. Academic documents
  3. Clearance documents

Attention: The requirements for the necessary documents may vary depending on the federal state!

Please be sure to check with your responsible licensing authority first. Links to the German licensing authorities can be found at the end of the article Licensing procedure in Germany.

Never submit the original documents, only certified copies. The original documents should always remain with you!

Which documents need to be included with the licensure application?

In this video, Dr. Ben explains which documents need to be included with the licensure application and what to pay special attention to.

Document Checklist

1) Personal documents

  • Proof of identity (passport)
  • Birth certificate
  • Curriculum vitae (CV)

The licensing authority requires proof of your identity. A certified copy of the first page of your passport is sufficient. If you’ve changed your name through marriage or otherwise, submit a certified copy of your birth certificate.

In addition, you need to submit a tabular curriculum vitae in German, which contains all of your educational and professional information. You must personally date and sign your CV.


2) Academic documents

  • University diploma
  • Transcript of records
  • Proof of the practical year
  • Professional license from your country of study or origin

First of all, the licensing authority requires a translated certified copy of your university diploma, showing that you’ve graduated. They also need a translated certified copy of your transcript of records, which lists all subjects you’ve taken including credit hours.

The licensing authority also requires a translated certified copy of your practical year and of your professional license from either your country of origin or your country of study.


3) Clearance documents

  • Certificate of good conduct
  • Declaration of exemption from legal proceedings
  • Letter of good standing
  • Medical certificate

You have to prove to the licensing authority that you have no criminal record. You’ll need to submit the following documents: A certificate of good conduct, a declaration of exemption from legal proceedings and a certificate of good standing. These official documents confirm, that you have no criminal history in your country of study, work and residence.

A certificate of good conduct provides information about existing criminal records. You should apply for this with the local registration office in the country in which you’ve studied and in which you’ve worked.

A declaration of exemption from legal proceedings is a form that you have to sign. By signing, you declare to the licensing authority that no legal proceedings are pending against you.

If you’ve already practiced your profession in another country, you also need to submit a letter of good standing. You can obtain this letter from the local professional association or from the Ministry of Health in the country in which you’ve worked.

In order to be granted a professional license, you also need a medical certificate stating that you are in good health and able to practice your profession. You can also submit this document after passing your recognition tests.

Certification of documents

All documents that you submit to the licensing authority must first be certified, then translated and if necessary authenticated. Authentication means, that a certificate of authenticity is issued for the officially submitted documents. This is also known as an apostille.

Translation of documents into German language

All required documents must be submitted to the licensing authority in German. Translations should be done by a sworn translator in Germany or by a translator recognized by the German embassy. Lists of recognized translators can be found on the websites of the German Embassy or in this interpreter and translator database: interpreter and translator database.